If you have been feeling displeased with the appearance of your smile due to misalignment, you may already be considering orthodontic treatment. You likely know that orthodontics will improve the alignment – or straightness and uniformity – of your smile. However, how much do you really know about treatment? Are you familiar with your options and with the full extent of the benefits you can expect? Before you make common assumptions about orthodontics (we often hear patients think braces are simply for cosmetic purposes) become fully informed with the following quiz:
Orthodontics Quiz: True or False
- True or False: Choosing orthodontic treatment to straighten your teeth is only beneficial for your appearance.
- True or False: Your only option for improving your alignment is traditional metal braces.
- True or False: Orthodontics treats a variety of problems, not only crooked teeth.
- True or False: We will expect you to choose the treatment that best fits your needs.
Quiz Answer Key
- False. Though a straighter smile looks esthetically pleasing, orthodontic care helps you achieve more than cosmetic improvements. An aligned smile may be easier to care for – cleaning every surface of overlapping teeth is often difficult, as is preventing debris from becoming trapped in spaced teeth. In addition, straightening your smile may prevent problems like TMJ and bruxism that often occur due to an imbalanced bite.
- False. We offer a variety or orthodontic treatment options. While metal braces certainly have their place, we also offer an accelerated tooth-colored brackets-and-wire system, lingual braces that we place on the back of your teeth, and clear aligner tray systems, depending on your particular needs and preferences.
- True. Misalignment comes in many forms, including crooked teeth, gapped teeth, overlapping teeth, overbite, underbite, crossbite, and open bite.
- False. We will meet with you to thoroughly examine your bite. We will then explain your misalignment to you in addition to your options, while creating a personalized care plan to improve your smile.
ABOUT YOUR ROWLETT FAMILY DENTIST:
At Rodem Tree Dental, you and your family can expect to receive the latest in quality dental care. Dr. Ellen Nam and our team want to help you improve the health and beauty of your smile. To schedule an appointment, call our office at 972-475-2321. We proudly service patients in Rowlett, Rockwall, Garland, Wylie, and Sachse.